Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chicken Penne in Smokey Chili Cream Sauce



My sister made this for me one time when we visited her, and I loved it!!  She got it from a magazine (I'm not for sure which one).  Just to warn you, it is a little spicy.  I made it one time for my family and added a little too much chipotle.  My kids were literally crying because it was so hot!!  Before I had tasted it I told them, "You better eat it because there is nothing else!!"  Then I tasted it and felt bad that I had said that because it was pretty hot.  So go easy on the chili powder and chipotles if your kids don't like spicy food.  Enjoy! 

12 ounces uncooked penne pasta                   1-1/2 TBS. veg. oil
1 lb. bonless, skinless chicken breasts
(cut into 3/4 chunks) 1/3 C. chopped onions
1 tsp. minced garlic 2 C. prepared Alfredo sauce
1 TBS. chipotle in adobo sauce 2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. maple syrup 1/2 tsp. salt
8 slices fully cooked bacon, chopped 2 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro

Cook penne following package directions. Heat oil in a large skillet 
over med-high heat and cook chicken for about 4 min. or until 
cooked through. Remove to a plate and reserve.  Reduce heat to med.  
Add onion to the skillet and cook for 3 min, stirring occasionally.  
Add garlic and cook 30 sec. Stir in Alfredo sauce, chipotle, 
chili powder, maple syrup, and salt. Cook over med-high heat until 
bubbly. Stir in chicken. Place pasta back into the pot and stir in 
the Alfredo and chicken mixture. Garnish with the bacon and cilantro.





No comments: