Thursday, January 15, 2009

My favorite dough ever!!


I am finally making some time to post on this recipe blog. And for my first post what is more appropriate than posting my most favorite dough EVER. I use it to make hamburger buns, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls and breadsticks! It's super fast (done in just over an hour!) and so yummy! Hope you like it, too!

My favorite dough

2 packages yeast ( 4 1/2 tsp)
4-5 cups flour (I like to use 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat sometimes)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. salt

Mix yeast and 2 cups flour in large mixing bowl. Set aside. In a new bowl (or I like to use a glass measuring cup) mix milk, water, oil, sugar and salt. Microwave until lukewarm (about 70 seconds). Stir and dump into yeast and flour. Mix until very smooth. Add 2-3 more cups flour until a soft dough forms. Set under a greased bowl for 10 minutes. Form into desired shape (dinner rolls, hamburger buns, cinnamon rolls, etc... ) Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled - about 1/2 an hour or so. I usually pre-heat my oven to 400 at this time - it helps them raise quicker as well. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Delish!

** to do cinnamon rolls I divide dough into two balls, roll out into large rectangle, spread with softened butter, sprinkle with cinnamon & lots of brown sugar, roll them up and cut into rolls and frost with whatever frosting you like.

** to do hamburger buns I divide dough into 12-18 slightly flattened balls (depending on how big you like 'em)

** for dinner rolls I usually do small un-flattened balls or divide the dough into two balls, roll into a circle, cut it like a pizza and let the kids roll the triangles up into crescents

** for breadsticks I divide into two balls and roll each ball into a circle on a pizza pan, cut into strips, sprinkle with garlic and parmesan.

I usually divide the dough into two balls and make dinner rolls with one and cinnamon rolls with the other!

1 comment:

Goulash said...

I loved this recipe!! It was so easy and so good!! Thank you!! Keep those good recipes coming!!
Hannah